Glavni trg 1
Glavni trg 8
The church stood there perhaps as early as in the Middle Ages. It is a late Gothic church in its core. The year 1608, once carved on the portal, hinted that it was rebuilt in the early 17th century. It was consecrated in 1699 by the Bishop of Trieste, Giovanni Miller. The church was left in ruins after the Second World War. After the renovation, it was consecrated in 1993. The concrete pointed arch portal is an imitation of the former, late Gothic one. There is a two-eyed bell gable above the façade, and the building is covered with slate sheets. The late-Baroque pillar-type marble high altar of St. Nicholas has been reconstructed. A new table was installed and new columns of the Doric order were inserted instead of the original composite ones to support the original cornice wall with volutes and angel statues. There was a painting of the patron saint, painted on wood in 1826 by Anton Irtitsch, in the altar niche. Today it is substituted by a painting of St. Nicholas, made in 1993 by Tomaž Perko, who used the facial features of actor Boris Kralj for the saint's portrait.