The place, which used to be called Šentvid and Šembid, and indirectly the church, are mentioned in a document from 1274. The original Gothic church was oriented. The presbytery, built around 1460 by the Carniolan-Škofja Loka workshop, is the first architecture attributed to the leading master of this group, and at the same time the first construction of a Gothic arch with figural keystones and corbels in the Primorska region. It was painted around 1481, when the church was consecrated again by the Bishop of Pićen, Paskazij from Gračišće, after it was desecrated during Turkish invasions. The present-day building was built in the second half of the 17th century, perpendicular to the old church. The Gothic presbytery was incorporated into the new building and took over the function of the side chapel. The new church was consecrated on 25 July 1699 by the Bishop of Trieste, Giovanni Miller. Its interior was completely remodelled in the second half of the 18th century. A stone pilaster triumphal arch with a keystone leads to the Chapel of the Virgin Mary (old Gothic presbytery), which is surrounded by a neo-Gothic balustrade. Depicted on the keystones are the Mary, mother of Jesus, St. Vitus and St. Paul, and on the others there are symbols of the four evangelists, St. Jerome, St. Bishop, angels with the coat of arms of the Thurn family and the Counts of Gorizia and the first master with his sign. The following frescoes are painted in three stucco frames in the nave ceiling: the Immaculate Conception, the Martyrdom of St. Vitus and the Holy Trinity. The heavily overpainted frescoes are the signature work of Giuseppe Bernardino Bison from the beginning of the 19th century.
Spletna stran za nemoteno delovanje uporablja piškotke
Spletna stran za delovanje uporablja samo nujno potrebne piškotke, za katere ne potrebujemo vaše privolitve. Brez namestitve teh piškotkov, vam nemotenega dostopa do spletne strani ne moremo omogočiti.
Za več informacij si preberite Pravilnik o piškotkih.